Report on Information Technology Applications
Evaluation: Written Report
Why organization acquire data from websites
Many organizations these days acquire data online following are few main reasons:
- Reduced Data Redundancy: While data is entered by the user himself and data is stored electronically it can be easily checked for the redundancy, while user is entering the data it can validated for redundancy.
- Reduced Errors: If a user is entering his/her information into the system them there is the less possibility of storing the erroneous data. The online data entry forms are equipped with data validation techniques which also plays an important role in reducing errors while collecting data.
- Reduced Data Storage, Data Entry and retrieval Cost: Cost is reduced significantly because user himself enters the data into the system, so there is no need for data entry operators to enter the data into the system. Hence data can be retrieved easily because it is stored in the database directly when user entered the data into the system.
- Data collection from inaccessible location: While the data acquisition system is present online data can be collected from remote places with IT enabled infrastructure. So data can be acquired fast and easily from remote places.
- Fast Collection of data: Data can be at a very fast speed from different parts of the world simultaneously.
Methods of Data Protection
Personal Data is very important for any person who uses computer or Internet to protect the data following measures are taken by the websites:
- Username and Password Authentication: The most basic data protection system is to use the access management system. When applied it’ll ask every visitor on the website for a username and password and if both are correct then only the access is granted into the system and access is limited to the user’s account only, this user is not able to see, create or edit some other user’s data.
- IP Security: Some sniffer softwares can capture the data while it is in transit between two computers. To protect the data in transit Internet Protocol Security is used (IPSec). IPsec uses the Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) protocol to encrypt the data.
- Use of Firewalls and Encryption: A firewall can detect a possible hack into the system and it helps in obstructing any unauthorized access into the system. Encryptions are widely used these days to secure the data from possible data thefts.
- Physical Security: Physical security of the system which contains the data is very important, because it is the source of all the data if anything happens to the server which stores the data all the data will be lost.