Assignment Help on Foundations of International Business IKEA
As per Govindarajan and Gupta (2008), global strategies provide direction to the organization towards future challenges. The major benefit of global strategy is in a way that it may be more suitable in those organizations where it is very difficult to reduce cost but pressure for local responsiveness is less. Therefore a standardized product is manufactured and sale out worldwide. Global strategy organizes and co-ordinates product, price and placement strategies across international markets and locations, firms that are utilizing global strategies are pretty centralized and integrated with the group stakes and strategies. Get reliable IKEA case study writing service at AssignmentStudio.net at best price. We provide the Top Quality assignment help with plagiarism free 24*7.
The major reason of using global strategies is that they help to increase and foster economic independence among national markets and multinational enterprise is a key driver of globalization as well. For the purpose of assessing whether these organizations are implementing global level operations, it is possible in a case if firms are global in their real market penetration level across globe. By getting the date of 500 MNEs, it can be stated that some firms are successfully global but most of the firms are not because their operations are based on breadth and depth of market coverage (Rugman & Verbeke 2004).
if you ever need university assignment help, always get in touch with us.
Global strategy means there is only strategy applied on all the branches of the world by a group of companies regardless of any socio-cultural differences. For example, IKEA will be applying same pricing strategies for every country for the same product. Some major characteristics of global strategies are:
- Every product is similar in all countries
- Low level of centralized decision making authority at local country levels.
- This strategy is only effective in case of less differences in countries.
- It provides benefits such as low cost, standard activities, and quick product development (Porter 1986).
IKEA Global strategy gives results in terms of:
- Authentic distribution network.
- One mission statement that was followed closely in all countries for each line of business.
- Strong financial control.
- High level of practical research and development.
- Quick marketability and quality maintenance, as the intended market is global instead of individual.
There were certain pros and cons for global strategy and these cons and pros are as follows:
- Furniture composite parts were same to maintain the economy.
- Customization cost of external structure of furniture was comparatively lower.
- The furniture business was there with low growth.
- There were different consumer needs and preferences with respect to color, size. Houses are small in Japan so they need smaller and lighter colored furniture (Bartlett and Ghoshal 1989)
There was another dominant furniture trading industry in United States. An organization named as IKEA is using global strategy and (having an edge over opponents) from following sources
Some major decisions related to globalizations were beneficial in terms of increasing efficiencies in areas such as:
- From Foundation to broaden market, balance economy is the essence
- It helps to exploit different other countries key resources like workforce and low price raw materials.
- Increase in the product life cycle of each line of business; in this way, older products can be sold in lesser developed countries because of non-familiarity with these products in under-developed countries such as Asian countries.
- Working flexibility, cost per shift, change over time, replacements rate (Hamel & Prahalad 1993, pp.84-91).
- Commencement of mobile service facility and sole market supplier of the product.
- Sale price within countries
- Transfer price.
- Divide macroeconomic risks.
- Spread operational risks.
Diverse working environment renders chances of advance learning.
Making clientele while creating a balance between reputations entertain in the market as well as branding. Global strategy works with objectives of Efficiencies in operations, flexibilities and learning and innovations (Tilles 1963, pp.112-121). IKEA was most suited to become a global organization due to it cost, customer, competitiveness, and government support (Porter 1996, pp.61-78).
Multidimensional domestic scheme was introduced by companies focusing on the demands, beliefs, and requirements of country people. It helps in better customization for each and every line of business in every market of the country. It obviously and easily contain decentralized approach such local based decision-making. It is effective for countries where larges differences in the cities and states exists such US. The key success factors and outcome of this approach are quick product innovation, local responsiveness, low political risks, and low exchange rate risks (Drucker 1954).
This study is based on IKEA’s story for using a global strategy.
IKEA’s objective is to provide a number of stylish and practical items of furniture of high quality at fair price so that most of the public can manage to purchase them (IKEA 2012). The company focuses on clients who are passionate to furnish their homes by investing physical energy in transporting and assembling the furniture at home at reasonable price.
The target customer of IKEA is youthful and low level to middle-class people (Eisenhardt & Brown 1998, 59-69).
IKEA is a remarkably successful global furniture retailer company now but this group did not globalize itself till 1960 because furniture has a big size compared to its value and because it is easily vulnerable and risky and damaging nature in shipping so transportation costs were conventionally very high. One of the trade barriers was Government at that time. IKEA was pioneer with the globalization of furniture firms. This organization was making unassembled furniture; therefore it was easy to ship it and effective cost wise. IKEA great contribution comes in the form of binding customers in value chain. It was an attractive option for the customers to buy furniture in packed form and assembled it at home. That was cost effective and fun activity for client to enjoy decorating home with personal involvement. People were desperate to have economical lifestyle so IKEA made progress all around Europe and has celebrated its silver jubilee. Now a day, the fields in which IKEA operates are well defined and developed; the company offers and deals in comparatively economical, modern, Scandinavian style furniture and all of the above home furnishings (IKEA 2012).
The above assignment is not complete, if you are looking for complete assignment, similar assignment or a new one you can contact us by filling up the quote form