During the past few decades, Pizza Hut has been able to develop an excellent reputation in the minds of consumers. The reputation helped in achieving respect from the experts within the industry and its consumers. Pizza Hut believed in providing value to its customers. This value includes great service experience, maintained quality and continuous innovation with their offerings. Pizza Hut is a brand which has changed the mindset. Pizza being an specialty as Italian product, has now transformed into the mass market product . The quality of the brand relies on the employees objectives too. The objectives of employees at Pizza Hut are aligned with the organizational goals, resulting with an acceleration in the growth platform of Pizza Hut.
Pizza Hut is owned by YUM! Brands Inc. Other then Pizza Hut, there are various market leading brands such as KFC, A&W, LongJohn Silver’s and Taco Bell are also a part of YUM! Brands Inc.’s portfolio. Started in 1958, Pizza Hut is categorized as one of the largest casual dining restaurant chain, having more than 13000 branches across 92 countries. With approximately 13000 restaurants, Pizza Hut have more than 250,000 employee working to provide best customer service experience. (Baraya,2012)
The history of Pizza hut is not older than 54 years, when Frank and Dan Carney, the two Americans from Wichita, Kansas came up with an idea of a local pizza restaurant. At the beginning, it was a small place with a seating arrangement for not more than 25 people, and that building looks like a hut. Keeping the initial positioning as trademark, the birth of “Pizza Hut” took place.
Pizza Hut’s story is just 54 years older but the progression took place in certain chunks of era. A brief shadow of the progression is as follows:
- 1958- Frank and Dan Camey sucessfully opened the first branch of Pizza Hut in Wichita, Kansas.
- 1972- Almost 1000 branches opened in different states of America.
- 1973- 1st international branch inaugurated in Islington, London.
- 1973- Pizza Hut exceeds from UK to Japan and Canada.
- 1977 – The group PepsiCo took over Pizza Hut Chain.
- 1980 – Product line extension took place with the beginning of Pan Pizza.
- 1982 – PepsiCo and Whitbread signed a joint venture in UK
- 1984 – More than 50 branches inaugurated in entire UK.
- 1986 – Around 5000 worldwide branches exists with more than 100 branches in UK only.
- 1987 – An average of 1 branch opens every week in UK.
- 1988 – Pizza Delivery Unit was introduced in Kingsbury, London. It was UK’s first delivery unit.
- 1992 – In 84 countries, there were approximately 9000 Pizza Hut restaurants.
- 1993 – In UK only, there were 300 Pizza Hut restaurants and Delivery stores.
- 1997 – The birth of Tricon Global Restaurant took place. PepsiCo started focusing on their drinks business and hence Tricon Global became the partner company with Whitbread.
- 1999 – Pizza Hut had more than 14000 employees and more than 400 restaurants only in UK.
- 2002 – Tricon Global became YUM ! Brands Inc.
- 2006 – Yum! Brands Inc bought all the shares of joint venture from Whitbread. Yum! Brands Inc. became 100% owner for Pizza Hut UK Ltd.
- 2008 – Yum! Brands Inc took over Godfather’s Pizza in Ireland with almost 28 stores.