In general almost all essays have the same 3 basic parts: Introduction, Main Body and Conclusion. However, the Main Body may be structured in many different ways, all depending on the type of essay you are asked to write, the discipline in which you are studying and the way you organise the content.
In order to be able to write a good essay, one has to have many different kinds of knowledge and skill. For example, you need to know what type of essay the lecturer is expecting you to write – e.g. analytical? persuasive? critical?
- For analytical, persuasive and critical essays you need to relate data to an analytical framework and/or find a new way of organising and relating data or ideas.
- For persuasive and critical essays, you also need to be able to take a position or point of view, break it into individual claims and provide the right kind of evidence for those claims.
- For a critical essay you also need to be able to take a position or point of view on someone else’s work or on an existing debate, by finding problems or alternatives.
Regardless of the type of essay, it is important to have other skills such as
- planning a good Main Body structure and clear paragraph structure
- appropriate referencing
- and academic language.
Here are some strategies that will help you to come up with effective essays:
- First and foremost important thing to do is shortlist your ESSAY TOPICS
- Once you have shortlisted your topic now its time to do some basic research and see on which topic you can easily find information?
- Now its time to finalize your topic, once the topic is finalised you need to find as many articles and other sources as you possibly can.
- Go through all the articles, you don’t have to read them but skim through them to find the most relevant content that you may need.
- Now Write a proper Introduction, BODY and Conclusion part.
- For introduction and conclusion, you probably don’t need to cite any reference however some tutors and lecturers may need it to be cited.
- Most important and essential aspect in scoring good marks for your essay, is to try getting a feedback on your draft before submitting it so you can improve as per the feedback.